A few nutrients can help improve eye function and minimize the development of age-related degenerative conditions of the eye. Here, our eye doctors at Perception Eyecare + Eyewear discuss which vitamins, minerals and other nutrients can keep your eyes in check.
- Vitamin A. Without sufficient levels of vitamin A, the conjunctiva — the tissue that lines the inside of the eyelids — can develop a white spot called a Bitot’s spot. Deficiency in vitamin A can also lead to night vision problems and even result in blindness. Food packed with beta-carotene like egg yolks, cheese, and liver is an excellent source of vitamin A.
- Vitamin B. Vitamins B-6, B-9, and B-12 may reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration or AMD. In a South Korean study, a link between reduced intake of vitamin B-3 and glaucoma was found.
- Vitamin C. According to experts, a diet rich in vitamin C helps reduce the risk of developing cataracts. Good sources of vitamin C include citrus fruits, peppers, potatoes, brussel sprouts, and broccoli.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Commonly found in small fish such as tuna, mackerel, and salmon, flaxseed oil, and all green leafy vegetables, omega-3 fatty acids have a critical role in reducing inflammation and helping cells in the retina regenerate after damage from light exposure.
- Bilberry. Bilberry has gained popularity for improving night vision. However, this supplement can interfere with aspirin and products containing ibuprofen, so make sure to let your doctor know what supplements you are planning to take.
- Lutein and Zeaxanthin. Carotenoids found in green leafy vegetables, lutein and zeaxanthin may help reduce oxidative stress in the retina and lower the risk of developing AMD.
While supplementation is a convenient way to increase your intake of essential vitamins and minerals, your diet should be your primary source of these nutrients. Assuming a healthy lifestyle and consuming antioxidant-rich food can provide protection against cellular damage and improve your eye health.
Perception Eyecare + Eyewear is a trusted eye care clinic offering comprehensive eye exams, custom contact lenses, and specialized treatments for various eye conditions in Richardson, TX. Call us at (972) 250-0700 or fill out our contact form to set up an appointment.